[Web4lib] One consequence of the digitization programs

Brian Gray mindspiral at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 11:35:18 EST 2007

Are you looking for information about the quality of the digitizations
or quality of the information available? It seems to me these are very
different.

You start off suggesting you are interested in the quality of the data
with the comment about the "often unreliable and false information".
But I do not see how Google's efforts are any different than what all
our libraries do already in form of collection policies, especially
since they are just using what libraries make available to them. Are
we not ourselves by levels of participation determining what goes
online? We do not identify in our catalogs now what is considered good
or bad information, so do we expect to hold Google-like projects to a
different expectation?

Or, are you specifically interested in the actual visual quality of the scans?

Brian Gray
mindspiral at gmail.com