[Web4lib] Creating Library Toolbars

Fred Edwards fred.edwards at smu.ca
Fri May 25 09:48:10 EDT 2007

About a year ago I was asked to create a customized toolbar for our library
patrons.

However, with the ability to add custom searches to Google Toolbar and
IE7/Firefox's embedded search boxes I managed to convince the staff that it
would be vastly preferable to utilize what was already there instead of
creating something else.

Well, actually I would have had to build two or more toolbars if we had
wanted to provide the same service to patrons using different browsers; IE7,
IE6, Netscape, Firefox/Mozilla, Opera, Safari, etc etc etc.

A tired programming cliche comes quickly to mind: "Why reinvent the wheel?"

I could easily create searches for our catalogue (Ex Libris' Aleph) and a
majority of our online database resources, as well as offer searches that
could be used off-campus utilizing Ezproxy. If you have a federated search
service then more complex searches can be done across several resources
depending on your tool.

I created multiple OpenSearch plugins for IE7/Firefox and the same for
Google Toolbar, then made these downloadable from our website. Users can
download which search plugins they wish and no more.

If simple searches are the goal I would highly recommend just utilizing what
is ubiquitously available to users instead of requiring them to install yet
another add-on that eats up more valuable viewing room.

anyway, just a suggestion.  :-)

--

Fred Edwards

Systems Technician
Patrick Power Library
Saint Mary's University
Halifax, Nova Scotia    B3H 3C3

Phone:     (902) 420-5096
Fax:       (902) 420-5561
E-mail:    Fred.Edwards at smu.ca
Website:   http://www.smu.ca/library/

--

On 5/23/07, Junus, Ranti <junus at mail.lib.msu.edu> wrote:

> We offer both LibX (still in test mode) and Conduit toolbars to our
> users.  The nice thing about Conduit is, each Bibliographer or library
> staff could create their own sets of resources.  It also allows you to
> create a set of destinations (path finders/research help, etc.) which
> essentially is similar like your browser's bookmarks.
>
> LibX strengths lie in its ability to incorporate your ezproxy, openURL
> resolver, and check resources against your catalog.  It also integrates
> nicely with Google Scholar, which is a plus for us because we have our
> holdings indexed for Google Scholar.
>
> I personally prefer LibX, however I actually ended up using both
> toolbars for my Firefox.  Combined with Web Developer
> (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60) and Accessibility
> toolbar from the University of Illinois (http://firefox.cita.uiuc.edu/),
> about 1/3 of my screen is now filled with toolbars. :-D
>

> ranti.
>
> --
> Ranti Junus, Web Services - Electronic Resources
> Michigan State University Libraries
> East Lansing, MI 48824

Fred Edwards

Systems Technician