[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0 data (wasparticpationSkillsfor Library 2.0 Leaders)

Walker, David dwalker at calstate.edu
Tue May 8 11:39:34 EDT 2007

>> Why are undergraduate students the

>> core audience?

Well, not only are undergraduate students the largest group of users at virtually all academic libraries, but at the large number of academic libraries that are not at doctoral degree granting institutions, they are effectively the sole user group.

>> they also conduct the least amount of

>> intensive research, are less enthusiastic

>> about research, and are less connected

>> to the academic community.

I can't really appreciate this argument, Mark.  I think you are, in essence, shifting the blame onto our users.

Sure, undergraduate students are not wildly enthusiastic about using the library.  But that was true even before the advent of the web, when the library was the only way you could find information.  Have we lost "market share," as you put it, because undergraduate students today are simply less "excited" about using the library than those of a decade ago?  Have undergraduates ever been excited about using the library?

Our users are not the problem.  The problem lies in our systems.  Students increasingly don't want to use the library because, frankly, our systems are painfully (and in many ways unnecessarily) difficult to use.  The only difference today compared to ten years ago is that our users now expect all information resources, including the library, to be easy to use.

If we make our systems easier to use, usage will in fact go up.  For example, five years ago when we implemented our link resolver here at Cal State San Marcos and hooked it up to our interlibrary loan system so that it auto-filled the forms, ILL usage went up 300%.  We had to hire an extra person just to keep up with the demand!  But undergraduate students at a second-tier non-research university couldn't care less, right?

There are many things academic libraries can do right now to improve and integrate our systems.  It won't be simple or easy.  But if we don't make that our top priority, not only are we not serving our students well, but we are also not serving our faculty well, since they have to deal with students who are not always or often using sufficiently scholarly resource in their research assignments.  We also do a disservice to our own reference and instruction librarians, since we are forcing them to devote a large percentage of their all-too-brief interactions with students to explain confusing interfaces rather than deeper issues about research.  Everyone stands to benefit from this work, even advanced researchers.

The ultimate goal of any academic library is not to get students excited about the library, or even to get repeat customers.  The people who pay the bills are the university administrators who allocate funds to the library to support the research and educational missions of the university.  That is our mission and responsibility.  We cannot change that simply because it's difficult.

--Dave

David Walker
Library Web Services Manager
California State University