[Web4lib] city swallows library website

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Mon May 7 10:58:59 EDT 2007

Greetings Andrew,

Those are great points!  By intent, I had not meant to imply
that they wanted to mislead, only that the perception of what is
important would be different.

I know of an example where clerk records older than about
100 years were put into dumpsters for disposal. Fortunately, they were
noticed and rescued by a local historical society.  The problem was that
there was not enough room in the vault and I guess that they figured
that if it was older than 100 years, it really was not necessary.

As a librarian and a digital archivist, I could not relate to their logic.
However, in their view, I think that they felt they were being
pragmatic by making it possible for more current information to be
protected and more easily accessible.

Robert L. Balliot
1-401-421-5763
Skype: RBalliot