[Web4lib] Interesting Web/Library 2.0 data (was particpationSkills for Library 2.0 Leaders)

Mark Costa markrcosta at gmail.com
Thu May 3 12:51:50 EDT 2007

All of these throwing around of numbers make me think, what is a measurement
of success for a web site? You mentioned that different sites have different
use/contribtion rates. Is there any type of site that library web sites are
comparable to?

What I am trying to get at is, what percentage can we expect of the overall
population that a given library serves to a) visit the site, and b)
use/contribute to the site? I hope you will bear with me while I give an
example. For a university whose population is 10000, the ideal scenario is
to get 10000 people to use the library's site for their research 100% of the
time; that is, we meet all of our community's research needs. I am going to
go out on a limb here and say this never happens. Instead of 100%, what is a
realistic goal for libraries? What can we say that we are comparable to, so
that we have a benchmark to measure ourselves by?