[Web4lib] city swallows library website

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Thu May 3 11:11:00 EDT 2007

Andrew, I'm glad LOM persuaded Michigan.gov to add  those redirects, but of
course once you get to the site, all you see are the junk URLs emitted by
the CMS, so bookmarking and citing becomes painful.  My warning was that if
your library Web site is being swallowed by a larger governmental entity,
fight for usable URLs.

I also note that they persuaded the powers that be to let the Michigan
Electronic Library (MEL), on whose board of advisors I served years
ago, have its independent presence as mel.org.  MEL is running sponsor
announcements on NPR and "Visit mel.org" is short and sweet.

/rich