[Web4lib] city swallows library website

Felicia Cheney fcheney at clamsnet.org
Wed May 2 10:14:06 EDT 2007

Librarians should manage the information content on the web sites for their
cities and towns.  The mission of public libraries in general includes
providing information, education, and entertainment resources to the public.
Where is the efficiency in having that only apply to print and media? -

I agree with you in theory, but believe that the reality is much more
complicated.  The content should definitely originate from the library.
However, many public libraries are small and have small non-professional
staff.  For some libraries having a person design a website would require a
significant amount of staff time that just isn't feasible with their budget
constraints.

I think that policies and general static information, like you say, must
come from the library.  However, what is the function of your website?  Do
you want it to be a place where people visit regularly?  Then you're going
to have to make it fresh, often.  That's more staff time.  You want to
design it so it's attractive and easy to use?  I could spend two weeks
working on color alone.  Why not pay someone for an hour's worth of time to
do that?  I don't need my librarians to know everything, just where to find
everything.

Felicia Cheney, Director
Edgartown Free Public Library
508-627-1373

Only my opinion - worth what you paid for it.