[Web4lib] Resources? -- Web Standards and Semantic Markup

David Kane dkane at wit.ie
Wed May 2 03:52:17 EDT 2007

Hi Andrew, you make the point well.

There has been a lot of interest in web content management systems for
libraries recently.  In our experience the use of a CMS makes us more
able to create a semantic, accessible, standards compliant page.  I have
a paper coming out in June's 'Library Hi-Tech', which is a case study of
what we did with our library website and it makes this point.

Offprint available on request.

David.

David Kane
Waterford Institute of Technology
http://library.wit.ie/
T: ++353.51302838
M: ++353.876693212
David Kane wrote:
> Hi Andrew, Tim, All,
>
> I think that web standards can have a normative force insofar as a
> standards-compliant website whose markup reflects the semantics of the
> content will lend itself very readily (in my experience) to compliance
> with WAI and Section 508 guidelines.

Yes, it that is a very compelling argument in favor paying attention to
web standards.  In fact, it's difficult to create a highly accessible
site with an ambivalent view of standards.

A wrote a brief piece on this subject for a workshop a couple years ago:

Accessibility benefits of "standards-based design" and "structural
markup"
<http://www.4serendipity.com/accessibility/struct/>

> Another possible justification for standards compliance is that the
> separation of style from the content typically creates a smaller file
> size.  Some people also say that a semantically structured document
> lends itself more readily to search indexing.  This sounds good, so
you
> can say it to your boss if you like, but I am unaware of any evidence
> support it.

This another valuable beneficial outcome of using standard markup. A
related benefit is the ease with which standard markup is maintained.
Marking up pages best suited to quirky user agents leads to a quirky
product that will require future maintainers to unnecessarily
familiarize themselves with the quirks.

Another benefit of web standards, and standards in general, is that they

provide the developers of access devices with an established format to
which to design their devices for. The alternative is to either mimic
another device's bugs or to create a new, unique interpretation of web
languages that may or may not to compatible with other access devices.
Either of the these alternative approaches leads to a "wild west"
scenario where one could never be sure of that the current, ad hoc
authoritative implementation will still be dominant next year or next
month.

A couple oldie, but still good reads on this topic are:

Site Valet - Why Validate?
<http://valet.htmlhelp.com/page/why.html>

4 Reasons to Validate your HTML
<http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/reasons.html>

For additional reading pleasure attached below are a few links related
to a presentation that I've given regarding web standards.

*General Reading on Web Standards

Zeldman, J. (2003). Designing With Web Standards. Indianapolis: New
Riders.

Cederholm, D. (2004). Web Standards Solutions: The Markup and Style
Handbook. Berkeley, CA: Friends of ED.

SimpleBits | Web Standards Link Bonanza
http://www.simplebits.com/notebook/2004/06/21/bonanza.html

What Every Web Site Owner Should Know About Standards: A Web Standards
Primer
http://www.maccaws.org/kit/primer/

The Way Forward with Web Standards
http://www.maccaws.org/kit/way-forward/

Design by Fire: The real reason you should care about web standards
http://www.designbyfire.com/000099.html

mezzoblue: A Roadmap to Standards
http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2004/04/30/a_roadmap_to/

mezzoblue: Standards Resources for Beginners
http://www.mezzoblue.com/archives/2004/08/25/standards_re/

99.9% of Websites Are Obsolete
An excerpt from Forward Compatibility: Designing & Building With
Standards
http://www.digital-web.com/features/feature_2002-09.shtml

Accessibility benefits of "standards-based design" and "structural
markup"
http://www.4serendipity.com/accessibility/struct/

*Bugs, Quirks, and Issues

4 Reasons to Validate your HTML
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/reasons.html

Toward a standard font size interval system
http://style.cleverchimp.com/font_size_intervals/altintervals.html

Owen Brigss' CSS text sizing page
http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/font/index.html
An overview of various CSS text sizing methods. Includes a nice
selection of screenshots of each method in various browsers.

Images, Tables, and Mysterious Gaps
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Images,_Tables,_and_Mysterious_Gaps
Explains how Gecko (Netscape 6+, Mozilla, etc.) renders images in tables

when "standards" mode is triggered.

*Doctype Switch and Browser Rendering Modes

Summary of Doctypes and the layout modes they trigger
http://www.hut.fi/u/hsivonen/doctype.html

The Opera 7 DOCTYPE Switches
http://www.opera.com/docs/specs/doctype/

CSS Enhancements in Internet Explorer 6
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnie60/html/cssenhancements.asp
Details which Doctype triggers which rendering mode in IE 6 and lists
some of the differences between the "standards" and "quirks" mode in
this browser.

Mozilla's Quirks Mode
http://www.mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/quirks/
Mozilla also provides a detailed outline of Mozilla quirks mode
behavior.

Gecko's "Almost Standards" Mode
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Gecko's_%22Almost_Standards%22_Mode

Gecko Compatibility Handbook
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Gecko_Compatibility_Handbook
Discusses Gecko (Netscape 6+, Mozilla, etc.) standards support and
solutions to common issues with this rendering engine.

*'Hiding' CSS links

Centrical's CSS filters page
http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/

Dithered.com CSS filters page
http://www.dithered.com/css_filters/

Hiding CSS with @import
http://w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/import/

CSS Wiki - CSS Hacks
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssHacks

The Box Model Hack
http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/boxmodelhack.html

Size Matters
An article detailing an implementation of the BMH to control font size
across browsers.
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/sizematters/

Internet Explorer conditional comments
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/overview/ccomment_ovw.asp