[Web4lib] Re: Msg 6 - Headphones

Dale Irving dirving at sailsinc.org
Tue Mar 27 12:37:51 EST 2007

We've had good luck at our library with a combination of Telex Model 610
mono headphones (not cheap at about $14, but really durable & replaceable
cords) and Caliphone 4 position headphone jack boxes on all our public
PCs.  I screw the jack boxes to the walls of carrels or to the table top,
plug in one headphone, and use electrical tie wraps to connect the
headphone cord to the jack box.  The jack boxes have the larger headphone
sockets (1/4 inch?) as do the telex headphones, but they plug in to the
standard PC jacks. I then superglue or epoxy a reducer into another of the
jack box sockets so that patrons can use their own standard mini plug
headphones.  There's nothing loose to be taken and we've only had to
replace one telex cord over the last two years.  I've tried a lot of
different headphones over the last 8 years, and these are by far the most
durable.

Dale Irving
Information Systems Librarian
Middleborough Public Library