[Web4lib] U3 Devices: was IE7 security settings

Louise Alcorn Louise.Alcorn at wdm-ia.com
Mon Mar 26 11:23:47 EST 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Katie Dunneback

  We eventually figured out it was because of the device's attempt to
install the U3 software.  And since the software could not be installed,
the USB drive was rendered unusable on our computers despite our having
the programs many of our patrons were attempting to use.  This is one
reason why I am not a fan of U3.

Nor I.  This has been a major headache just this last two weeks, as one
of our regular patrons bought two U3 USB devices, which he then couldn't
use.  As he does not use a PC anywhere but at the library, his inability
to use these storage devices was a problem.  As he had not yet loaded
anything on them, I was able to go to the U3 site and grab the uninstall
file (a major hassle as we can't download .exe files through our
firewall - long story).  There are two major uninstall files, one for
SanDisks (on their site) and one for all other U3 devices (on the U3
site).  URL's below.

You MUST make it clear to any patron that if they run this uninstall,
they will wipe everything from their drive.  Our patron was cool with
this, as it was empty, so I did it for him (it was just easier than
listening to how he had no friends with computers, in fact no friends at
all...bah).

U3 Uninstall:  http://www.u3.com/uninstall/

SanDisk devices:  http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1415

This is additionally delightful for us right now (/sarcasm off) because
we are about to replace all of our rather ancient PC's with slimline
updated versions which have NO floppy drive.  We've been telling patrons
for 2 years that the manufacturers were not supporting this medium
anymore (we can't even get replacement floppy drives without dancing
through hoops) and to move to USB devices.  We're now telling them that
these new machines will force them to use USB instead of diskettes, but
to avoid getting anything with U3 technology (we have signs to this
effect by every PC).  In fact we're going to have some USB floppy drives
for 6-8 months to ease the transition.  If they bring in U3 devices, we
have no way in the building to run that uninstall (seriously!  I had to
take it home!), so we're going to have to come up with something asap.

This may have strayed a bit from the original topic, but it's coming up
more and more here, and I know our library is not alone.

Cheers,
Louise
Louise E. Alcorn
Reference Technology Librarian