[Web4lib] Headphones in public libraries

Masud-Paul, Janice janicem at camden.lib.nj.us
Mon Mar 26 10:01:12 EST 2007

Good morning.

We are a public library with free internet access for anyone who enters.
We also connect headphones to all of our public computers. As you might
imagine we have experienced some headphone theft, but our primary
problem is breakage.  It doesn't seem to matter if we purchase $60
headphones or the $1.00 variety; we still replace them frequently.

We are considering removing the headphones from the adult stations and
selling new headphones for $2.50. We really aren't making a profit; but
it will cover the cost of purchasing the headphones and is also a more
sanitary option since the customer will keep them. We tried lending
headphones in the past but collecting and returning IDs was labor
intensive.

Do any of you sell headphones in your libraries?  How much do you
charge? If you don't sell headphones have you opted to distribute them
with ID or do you require the customer to bring his/her own. Thanks in
advance for your input. --janice

Janice Masud-Paul
Supervisor, Information Technology
Camden County Library System