[Web4lib] U3 Devices: was IE7 security settings

Andrew Hankinson andrew.hankinson at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 11:12:05 EST 2007

> On Mar 24, 2007, at 2:55 PM, Andrew Hankinson wrote:
>
>> On this note, I'd just like to pass something along that I have
>> recently experienced regarding U3 devices.
>>
>> I recently purchased a Memorex U3 keydrive, not knowing quite how
>> it worked.  When I first plugged it in, it started installing
>> various things which, to me, is a very bad thing to do.
> It doesn't install on the host computer.  It installs itself on the
> keydrive, and configures itself to run on the host computer.  There
> are some windows XP machines that won't allow this, however (I
> suspect it depends on the type of "lockdown").  I've tried it on
> all of our public PC's (Win2000 and WinXP) with no problem, but it
> wouldn't load at all on a co-worker's WinXP machine (works fine on
> my older, Win2000 machine).

If it's dependent on 'lockdown' I would suspect something being
installed is taking place - it would 'install' the first time I
plugged it in, but would already be on there on subsequent plug-ins,
so something was happening.

>> Second, when I brought it home and plugged it into my Mac, it
>> mounted as TWO drives, both of which had to be ejected in order
>> for me to unplug the device.
> heh, I did that, too. :-)  Then I found OSX Portable Apps (http://
> www.freesmug.org/portableapps/) to install on it!  But first you
> have to create a Mac partition on it to hold the OSX Apps.  So I
> tried keeping the U3 part and adding a 500 MB Mac OS extended
> partition (seems to have worked), then installing some OSX Apps on
> the partition.  _Seemed_ to be o.k., but I couldn't actually get
> the apps to work from the keydrive. :-(

I guess that's my point.  I found it really annoying (plug in, wait
for it to do it's thing, popping up windows and bubbles and just
generally being a nuisance) without a valid payoff, i.e. I could get
the same functionality with a Portable Application.

>> I couldn't format the U3 partition without downloading a Windows-
>> only uninstaller, which had to be run with administrator
>> privileges (!) in order to wipe out the U3 partition.
> Why?  It doesn't take up that much space, and you may find it
> useful later.  Once you uninstall, you can't put it back.  Of
> course, if your computer won't recognize the drive at all with it
> on there, you would probably want to delete it...

See the response above... I'm usually a pretty patient person, but I
have little or no patience for technology that isn't seamless and
doesn't 'just work'.  One of the things I like about key drives is
that you plug them in and they 'just work.'  This U3 business, with
it's "installing U3," "configuring..." etc. was a nuisance.

I'm a student, and we often have to give presentations very quickly
in a classroom setting, one after another.  When I plug my key drive
in in front of an audience, I don't expect to want to stand around,
waiting for something that I have little or no use for.  I don't
expect I'll ever want to put it back, so I think I'm safe there. :)
I think it's also partially the 'arrogance' of U3 when you want to
uninstall it.  When you downloading the uninstaller you have to
justify your decision to do so to them.  There would be nothing
preventing them from making U3 a R/W partition on a keydrive and
allowing you to reformat it as you please.

>> I've also been wondering what the difference is between a U3
>> device and 'portable applications.'  It seems like all U3 does is
>> provide a 'start' menu for any applications on your drive, but
>> again, I didn't get much of an opportunity to use it.
> The U3 site includes some of the portable applications available
> from http://portableapps.com/.  But it also includes commercial
> apps, which may have a free version or a demo/trial version.  Avast
> antivirus is included on the keydrive, which is pretty handy,
> except that it's a trial version that expires after three months.

Poking around the portableapps.com, I see that ClamAV has a portable
application (http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/clamwin_portable)
that doesn't expire, if you're looking for a good Antivirus package.

I guess it all boils down to personal preference, like so many
things.  I can see that I'm being picky about little things (it
doesn't really take *that* long to install it, in the grand scope of
things), but it's all the unnecessary steps I have to take, on my Mac
and on a PC, for very little benefit.

>> Cheers,
>> Andrew
>
> The only downside I've seen is the bigger apps (e.g.,
> openoffice.org, gimp) run really slow on the keydrive.  Firefox
> works great, though.  On the whole, it's been really useful on the
> occasions when I needed an app which wasn't on a public pc.  Other
> than that, it still has a lot of space to use it as a plain usb
> drive. :-)
>
> Carol Bean
>

>> On 24-Mar-07, at 12:52 PM, Erik Adams wrote:
>>
>>> I was adequately forewarned about Firefox responses BUT... do you
>>> have
>>> access to U3 devices on your staff computers? If so you can
>>> always buy a
>>> U3 smart drive http://www.u3.com/smartdrives/ and download the
>>> Firefox
>>> for U3: