[Web4lib] Forum/Bulletin Board Software with LDAP capability

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Thu Mar 22 12:49:34 EST 2007

I just recently saw this article in Linux Journal
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9357
about Citadel http://www.citadel.org/doku.php
Although this is an OS replacement for MS Exchange it looks like you can use
parts without having to use all of it.  I plan on looking into this product
myself  soon.

From their site:
Email, calendaring/scheduling, address books
Bulletin boards, mailing list server, instant messaging
Multiple domain support
An intuitive, attractive AJAX-style web interface
and
E-mail and groupware (shared calendaring, etc.)
Bulletin Board System (BBS)
Online discussion forums / chat rooms

From the features list:
LDAP integration capabilities. Citadel can populate your existing directory
server, or it can configure a standalone directory server if you don’t
already have one.

Zope plug-
Then again, Zope can use LDAP authentication and there are several products
for Zope and Plone such as Squishdot(inspired by Slashdot), Messageboard,
Zediscuss, SimpleForum (Plone), and others.

Thomas

On Thursday 22 March 2007 11:25, Jay Roos wrote:
> Is anyone aware of forum or bulletin board software that use LDAP for
> authentication? I'm interested in commercial or free software. I see that
> phpBB will have LDAP in the next version, but they can't seem to get it out
> of beta. Is there one that I'm missing somewhere?

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III			P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

If it's not as simple as possible to try it, then the barrier to entry is too
high.

Library Systems Help Desk: http://www.library.appstate.edu/help/