[Web4lib] IM Security Solutions

K.G. Schneider kgs at bluehighways.com
Sat Mar 17 09:00:27 EST 2007

> If memory serves me correctly, there was a thread on this list earlier
> this month regarding the security threats of IM.  SC Magazine for March
> 2007 has the winnder for the best IM security solution as FaceTime
> Communications for FaceTime Enterprise Edition www.facetime.com.

I thought it was interesting, and a little sad, that of the four reasons for
"Blocking IM is no longer an option," none included "because it's useful."
They make reference to "unhappy users," but it feels grudging (like, well,
we know *YOU* don't use IM, you savvy IT person, you, but the great unwashed
you provide services to just might make you miserable if you try to block
it...).

It's possible to be security-conscious and concerned about spyware/malware
(and a host of other *wares!) while scornful of the "us-versus-them"
marketing paradigm used for products such as this one.

They don't mean this usage for it, of course, but FaceTime RTMonitor would
seem to have some real potential for tracking IM usage for those libraries
doing v-ref via AIM or similar "in the wild" tools, or for that matter,
promoting the use of instant messaging for intralibrary use.

Karen G. Schneider
Acting Associate Director of Libraries for Technology & Research
Florida State University
Email/AIM: kschneider at mailer.fsu.edu
Blog: http://blogs.lib.fsu.edu/libtech/
Phone: 850-644-5214