[Web4lib] Would an open source Best Bets tool be useful for libraries?

Ryan Eby ryaneby at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 20:48:15 EST 2007

I think there would likely be some interest. At Code4Lib this year
there were actually two presentations by Tito Sierra of NCSU about
search results. He's doing some best bets but also some experiments
with harvested information from course catalogs (using terms
associated with courses to recommend subject guides). There seemed to
be some interest in the crowd. He's using OpenSearch to make it easier
to use the results on various search pages. Might be something to look
at.

You can watch his 5 minute lightning talk on best bets here:

The 20 minute presentation on subjects is here:

You can also download the videos from the conference page (MP4's under
a CC license):

http://code4lib.org/2007/schedule

I can also confirm that the MSU best bets have been useful, although
I'm not sure how many from submissions versus search logs.

Ryan Eby