[Web4lib] IE7 and Firefox 2.0 Search Engine for Web2

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Tue Mar 13 09:01:53 EST 2007

On a similar note, at least from 9.0 beta and up, with Opera you can go to a
page that has a form and right click in an input box and choose create search
from the pop up menu.  This lets you choose that search from a drop down
input box beside the address bar.  I've created three searches from a form on
Innovative for keyword, title, and author.  I also created a search for
people at ASU in my Opera search box from a form at our campus home page
which is very handy when trying to contact someone on campus.

Thomas

On Monday 12 March 2007 17:05, Lowery, Clint wrote:
> (Apologies for cross-posting.)
>
> I remember a thread somewhere about Firefox search plug-ins being used
> by some libraries using the OpenSearch method.
>
> My question is has anyone been able to construct one for the Web2 OPAC
> for SirsiDynix?  I'm getting a 'Firefox doesn't support this search
> engine' result so far in my attempt to create one.
>
> I've looked at WebJunction and the documents there refer to the Sherlock
> setup and are not Web2 based.
>
> What I'm trying to do is create a search URL in the search engine based
> off a general URL that I've been able to use in pulling results out of
> our OPAC.  I realize the executable file is not your typical cgi-bin
> type of search, but has anyone been able to create such a creature?
>
> Clinton Lowery, Librarian
> Integrated Library Systems
> Jacksonville Public Library
> 3435 University Blvd North
> Jacksonville, FL 32277-2464
> (904) 744-2265 x 319
> clowery at coj.net
> http://jpl.coj.net/
>
> Please note that under Florida's very broad public records law, e-mail
> communications to and from city officials are subject to public
> disclosure.

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III			P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

If it's not as simple as possible to try it, then the barrier to entry is too
high.

Library Systems Help Desk: http://www.library.appstate.edu/help/