[Web4lib] Google Analytics was Lies, damn lies, and usage statistics?

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Fri Mar 9 10:21:20 EST 2007

 Can someone elaborate on what is meant by adding Analytics Code
segments to links?  I do not see such a feature in google Analytics
except for something linked to marketing.

Bill Drew
drewwe at morrisville.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org
[mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Hogue Melanie
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 9:51 AM
To: web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: RE: [Web4lib] Lies, damn lies, and usage statistics?

Would Google Analytics be sufficient to check at least some of your
stats? I know it would not see pages residing or generated on your
vendors' servers; but you might be able to verify number of sessions
and/or unique users by Analytics code segments inserted in the links to
each resource. Are there security issues with doing this? We use it
because it is currently free and because it provides more detailed
information than what is basically provided by our own server software.
See http://www.google.com/analytics/