[Web4lib] AJAX/CSS and select drop down boxes

Bonnie Swoger swoger at geneseo.edu
Thu Mar 8 08:38:47 EST 2007

I think that you are having the same problem that we did. (We are using
suckerfish drop down menus).  I think it is a documented problem with
IE6 and how it relates <select> elements and <div> elements with a
z-index.  The <select> element will always show through no matter what
z-index you give the <div> that is supposed to go on top of it.

I found a very hacky solution that I wasn't able to make work.  I solved
the problem by doing some rearranging to avoid the problem.

I did find an article describing a solution here:
http://weblogs.asp.net/bleroy/archive/2005/08/09/422047.aspx

Someone else with a better grasp of javascript or other programming may
be able to help you better.

-Bonnie

Bonnie J. M. Swoger
Instructional Support Associate
Milne Library
SUNY Geneseo
Geneseo, NY  14454
Phone: (585) 245-5593

"Scientific research is based on the assumption that all events, including the actions of mankind, are determined by the laws of nature."  - Albert Einstein, 1936