[Web4lib] Limewire

Micah Stevens micah at raincross-tech.com
Tue Mar 6 12:32:23 EST 2007

On 03/06/2007 08:33 AM, Jane Frasier wrote:
> We are fairly liberal in allowing users to download and use programs
> from the internet because we use Deep Freeze and the computers are
> restarted between each patrons' use. Limewire has been quite popular
> lately. Are we opening up a can of worms allowing this to be used on our
> public computers? What are the risks?

The primary risk is that the files the user is receiving are coming from
unknown and therefore untrusted sources. One could be downloading
anything from anywhere, including mislabeled files that are trojan
horses, as well as copyrighted materials. With the RIAA being sue-happy
lately I would be concerned about legal action from them or other such
groups if your users are downloading music or movies with your hardware,
even if it's erased in-between uses. The legal precedents for such
things are still in their infancy. Any legal action would cost your
organization money as well, even if it doesn't result in a 'win' for the
suing organization.

Although I hate to label a technology as bad, to be safe I'd have a
tendency to disallow P2P file sharing on these units. Or at the very
least have a policy that requests the user not use such technology to
try and buffer yourself from legal claims. I'm not a lawyer so I have no
idea how effective that would be, although I've seen the technique used
before.

-Micah