[Web4lib] IM Security

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Mon Mar 5 22:10:57 EST 2007

Chadwick, John, DCA wrote:
> I will chime in about IM. We discourage IM on public access systems and
> staff computers because of the real risk of viruses:

[snip]

> One of the major problems with IM is that it uses a protocol instead of
> a standard TCP/IP port. It is easy to filter out spam and viruses on
> e-mail because all traffic flows on port 25. IM just looks for the next
> open port and delivers traffic through open ports, which is very, very
> frightening to IT people charged with protecting networks from viruses
> and other nasty programs. Also, since flavors of IM uses peer-to-peer
> technologies, your computer essentially becomes one with other
> computers, including those that are infected with viruses.

It's kind of crazy that we should be having these kinds of problems
given how prevalent IM'ing is as a form of communication.

I'm no networking expert but this Port problem sounds a bit like old
style FTP.  A solution was eventually found using "Passive" FTP.  You'd
think something could be found for IM -- and in a hurry.

I just can't understand an institution in this day and age --
particularly one with a public service function -- that isn't
_encouraging_ their employees to use IM.

This is one for the history books.

LEO

www.leoklein.com (site)
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)