[Web4lib] Clarification of on/off topic on Web4Lib

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 29 21:18:18 EDT 2007

At 04:29 PM 6/29/2007, K.G. Schneider wrote:
> >From the Web4Lib advisory board: just to be clear, the post labeled
>"Offtopic: Interviewing and Hiring a Web Developer" is perfectly ON topic.
>
>(From me personally: if you're lucky enough to find a good developer at
>library pay scales, I wouldn't get too clever with the stump-the-dummy
>questions.)

How would you go about determining whether a web developer is good
unless you present challenging questions?

I am not sure what library pay scales are but at least at the
university where I work a web developer can expect to be offered the
same salary whether going to work in one of the libraries, at the law
school, engineering school, etc.  If one can't find a good developer
by offering lower salaries it would seem to me that offering a salary
that is competitive with what any other employer in the area might
offer might be a good approach.