[Web4lib] Web/Systems Librarians: Good, Bad, Ugly

Judy Hsu jyorraku at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 21:01:02 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm a student at SJSU for MLIS.  I'm also unofficial go-to tech girl/web
maintainer of a small college library website.  It's just a small part
of my daily routine, but I enjoy tweaking our site so I believe it will
be my focus for MLIS.

I have a few questions regarding what it's like to be full fledged
systems/web librarian.  Please kindly impart with your knowledge and
experience.

What would you say is the most rewarding part of the job?  Is it when
usage statistics go up?  When other librarians thank you for making
their jobs easier?

Do you feel systems librarians need to be higher up in the food chain
when it comes to decisions being made about the library system?  Any
horror stories about being bypassed on critical decisions?

I've read a lot from library blogs and this list about librarians who
resist the offerings of new technology online (web 2.0, RSS, social
software, open source, etc).  For those of you who have encountered that
resistance, how did you overcome it?  Is it getting better or is it
still in that drag-out-kicking-and screaming phase?

Lastly, this one is more open ended:  why do software/database vendors
have such cumbersome interfaces?

Please send responses to jyorraku at gmail.com.

Your answers will be extremely appreciated.

Judy Hsu