[Web4lib] The Ultimate Debate: Do Libraries Innovate?

Andrew Ashton aashton at skidmore.edu
Wed Jun 27 12:36:26 EDT 2007

The problem with this argument is that the *way* we need things to
change will not be driven by companies in the form of new products, but
rather by communities of scholars and librarians in the form of fluid,
exchangeable collections metadata.  Neither Ex Libris nor III nor any
one entity can create that by design.  MARC reinforces that fundamental
restriction on how we think about our metadata - is metadata just for
our institutional information silos or is it part of the broader
continuum of learning and scholarship?  If it is the latter, MARC only
hinders us.