[Web4lib] The Ultimate Debate: Do Libraries Innovate?

Ron Peterson ronpeterson39401 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 27 11:39:29 EDT 2007

I disagree that it isn't in the best interest of the vendors to change.  I think librarians have demanded continuing support for MARC and tied the vendors hands.  In my experience, it seems that the vendors often go out of their way to keep MARC around, because we wouldn't buy their systems if they didn't.  But I don't think we should let the vendors off the hook either.  They could have been more creative in meeting our demands while developing innovative systems.