[Web4lib] Re: The Ultimate Debate: Do Libraries Innovate?"

Sharon Foster fostersm1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 10:04:17 EDT 2007

I was also a software engineer for many years before going to work in
a library and starting an MLS program last year. I love
standards--there are so many of them. ;-) I worked with many data
standards that are not human-readable by any stretch of the
imagination, and standards that have features that no one ever really
used, and I wrote many programs to convert one standard format to
another. So I have no problem with MARC in that regard. If anything,
the standard needs to be extended to include FRBR-like linkages to
"same work, different format." But we must never confuse any internal
standard with its external presentation to the end user. Those are two
different things. Dublin Core seems to me like a case of achieving
some sort of "universality" at the expense of a great deal of
precision. I rather like MARCXML for its potential as a "full
employment for software developers" standard. ;-)