[Web4lib] The end of MySpace, SecondLife, and Twitter

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Thu Jun 21 15:47:20 EDT 2007

Greetings,

There is a special grid in SL for younger people
and there are quite of few librarians helping to
develop the resources. They must have criminal
background checks in order to participate.

The work is being done.

As far as classifying development and use of SL
and other tools by librarians as a obsession with
juvenilia, I have to differ.  I see it as an extraordinary
opportunity to collaborate and learn from other people.

For those who volunteer in reference services, we
are able to observe first class interpersonal skills
in virtual librarianship in a safe environment. The
reference process can be honed through observation
and reviewed by the trainee.  This training environment
can, in my mind, augment skills of new librarians
and help vintage librarians understand the virtual
processes being used by many younger people.

There are great applications and opportunities for us all.

Robert L. Balliot
1-401-421-5763
Skype: RBalliot
Bristol, Rhode Island