[Web4lib] The end of MySpace, SecondLife, and Twitter

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Wed Jun 20 14:23:45 EDT 2007

Exactly. And there are new social networking ideas nobody's thought of yet.

Here's a good Paul Graham quote, from "The Hardest Lesson for Startups
to Learn":

"I was talking recently to a startup founder about whether it might be
good to add a social component to their software. He said he didn't
think so, because the whole social thing was tapped out. Really? So in
a hundred years the only social networking sites will be the Facebook,
MySpace, Flickr, and Del.icio.us? Not likely.

"There is always room for new stuff. At every point in history, even
the darkest bits of the dark ages, people were discovering things that
made everyone say "why didn't anyone think of that before?" We know
this continued to be true up till 2004, when the Facebook was
founded-- though strictly speaking someone else did think of that.

"The reason we don't see the opportunities all around us is that we
adjust to however things are, and assume that's how things have to be.
For example, it would seem crazy to most people to try to make a
better search engine than Google. Surely that field, at least, is
tapped out. Really? In a hundred years-- or even twenty-- are people
still going to search for information using something like the current
Google? Even Google probably doesn't think that."

http://paulgraham.com/startuplessons.html