[Web4lib] Drupal and wikis

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Sat Jun 9 14:17:15 EDT 2007

John Fereira wrote:

[snip]

> That, as I see it, is one of the primary differences between Drupal (or
> one of several other content management systems).  A wiki is primarily
> about the collaborative creation of content, presenting a low barrier
> such that anyone with access rights can quickly put something up that
> can be shared and edited by others.  Most wikis pay little attention to
> how that content is presented and may only provide a few options for
> page layout, color schemes, institutional branding, etc.   A CMS is much
> more conducive to being used for an departmental or institutional
> primary web presence.
>
> The other primarily difference found in a good CMS verses a wiki is
> workflow.   For most wikis all content is edited and made available in
> real time.  Most good CMSs have a facility for implementing several
> roles such as "content authors",  "content approvers", and "content
> publishers".   Before content might appear on a final production version
> of the site it might go through several workflow steps before it is
> available to the public.

First, thanks for the response.

Wikis are excellent for certain purposes -- and it looks like you have a
few interesting examples.  Personally I couldn't do without them.

I just don't think they'd make much of a Library Website.

In the world of seamless mashups, engaging graphics and dynamic layouts,
I think it'd be a disappointment to our users, if they got to our sites
and found a drab list of links -- structurally not much different from
the original attempts at web pages circa '93-'94.

That said, where I'd love to use them are in Intranets, also maybe for
subject guides, etc.

It's kind of funny.  I also follow the LIBREF-L listserv and there
someone recently wrote in asking if Blogs were going to replace
websites.  Same dynamic.

LEO

www.leoklein.com (site)
www.ChicagoLibrarian.com (blog)