[Web4lib] Re: new and "improved" Google Analytics

libwebdev libwebdev at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 19:19:23 EDT 2007

On 6/7/07, Thomas Dowling <tdowling at ohiolink.edu> wrote:

> This strikes me as an inherent problem in using third-party usage
> analysis - they provide certain reports and invite you to take it or
> leave it.   If you need something beyond that, you need access to your
> actual log files (that's what they're there for).

Yes, it certainly is an inherent problem for those of us who don't have the
opportunity to access actual log files (and yes, I also know that's what
they're there for). I'm in a large organisation which is controlled by a
webmaster who would first laugh and then charge me for his time to give me
this information. Our library is the only department in the whole of the
organisation that doesn't use the CMS; our site is managed by me alone. The
webmaster does provide me with stats (provided by Summary.net), but these
don't give me the specific data I want (I can get visitor location, and
browser version, but not cross segmented, just as with the new Google ones).
Everyone's situation is different, eh.
thanks,
lib.