[Web4lib] Restricting OPAC to just catalog and databases?

Riesner, Giles GRIESNER at ccbcmd.edu
Thu Jun 7 09:43:37 EDT 2007

 We've got several PCs that are Catalog Only - no databases that we set up using IE with a junk string under the http proxy
and put only the library catalog address in the exceptions list then run a reg file to set restrictions  (we actually have 2 reg files
one to restrict and the other to unrestrict so that we can make changes) so they can't even open Internet Options. If they try going
elsewhere they simply get the 404 page.

In our "research cluster" we have access to most sites though originally we limited them to the databases with a similar
system.  It got a bit clumsy though with all the addresses you need to add.

By the way, we've found two programs very useful for limiting access: Proxomitron  (www.proxomitron.info), no longer being developed as
the developer died and Proximodo  (http://proximodo.sourceforge.net) that's basically an open source attempt to replicate and improve
upon Proxomitron. They can be installed on a network and managed from there using the killfile and bypass lists without having to worry
too much about creating filters.  Nice programs and both are freeware.

Giles W. Riesner Jr., Library Tech Support
Community College of Balto. Co. - Catonsville
800 S. Rolling Rd., Baltimore MD 21228  USA
Tel/V-Mail 1-410-455-4245
Fax          1-410-455-6106