[Web4lib] Re: new and "improved" Google Analytics

libwebdev libwebdev at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 20:13:11 EDT 2007

On 6/7/07, Bokuno <bokuno at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, you have to do some arithmetic to get the results you
> used to get for free -- i.e., count the number of IE5.0 browsers from
> all visitors, then subtract the number you get from this procedure.  ...

Another approach is to set up two new network profiles with filters --

Thanks for this! I've just had a quick play and it seems I may mange to get
something this way.

> Also consider editing the user agent strings on your public and staff
> computers so they show up in Analytics in a way that makes them easy
> to isolate or filter out.

Nice idea, but unfortunately not possible for me to do given the nature of
our network.

Side note to your IT group:  well-managed computers are cheaper to run
> than poorly-managed ones.  If they think that they have to visit every
> computer to upgrade the browser, they really need to do a little
> research on computer management approaches.

Oh I know that. They still won't care .. it still means defining the project
and having it managed (that means staff time and resources), assigning it to
someone (who has more important things to do), work out the procedure for a
roll-out, and test it, and then deploy it, then fix it when it breaks
something unexpected ... they just won't do it!

thanks again for this info,
lib.