[Web4lib] new and "improved" Google Analytics

Dan Lester dan at riverofdata.com
Wed Jun 6 10:30:46 EDT 2007

  From: libwebdev <libwebdev at gmail.com>
  >I used to be able to drill down through browser versions, and get the
  >network location of users using specific browsers/versions. This information
  >is vital to me, because I'm begging and pleading with our IT department to
  >rid our organisation of IE5.0 and IE5.5. Without exception, ALL visitors to
  >our site using these dinosaur browsers are internal users, and account for
  >about 5% of visits. That's enough of a figure for me to feel the need to
  >support them, but feel it's a waste of my time. These stats are my
  >ammunition.

I don't have an answer to your question, but have one in return.  Why in the world would your IT folks WANT to keep you on the old junk?  Is it because they think it would be too much work to update?  I assume you don't have the ability to do so yourself due to security lockdowns.  While they're at it, you should carefully look at skipping the version in between and have them go straight to IE7.  One of the real benefits of IE7 is the ability to set printing to automatically "shrink to fit" so that you get rid of all the patrons who complain that the right hand part of a text column is cut off.  That has saved me endless hassles with users.

You could also ask them if they want to be known as so backwards and/or lazy that they're 7 to 8 years behind the rest of the world.  IE5 was launched in March 99, and 5.5 in July 00.  I'd be embarrassed to be running stuff that antiquated, particularly since I don't have to pay for the updates.

So what OS are your computers running?  2K?  98?

dan

Show Up, Suit Up, Shut Up, and Follow Directions
dan at riverofdata.com
Dan Lester, Boise, Idaho, USA