[Web4lib] Re: [lita-l] "The Ultimate Debate: Do Libraries Innovate"at ALA this month

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Tue Jun 5 21:25:25 EDT 2007

HAZEL Margaret E wrote:

> If necessity is the mother of invention, and libraries have

I don't know about the people who asked the question that started
this discussion,

> > > **Title - "The Ultimate Debate: Do Libraries Innovate?" **

but some people are very careful to distinguish

invention = coming up with something new

from

innovation = bringing it out to the masses.

If you ask me, the World Wide Web by Tim Berners-Lee is primarily
an innovation, bringing out to the masses the combination of the
already known technologies of SGML markup (HTML), hypertext (URLs)
and a simple client-server protocol based on TCP/IP (HTTP).  This
is something that Gopher and FTP had failed to do.  If there is
any invention in there, it's the URL, which is a new smart way to
write the protocol, hostname and filename as a unit.  Ward
Cunningham's "wiki-wiki" concept is an invention, but Wikipedia
(using this for an encyclopedia) is innovation.  And maybe most of
"web 2.0" is innovation, rather than invention.

Does it make sense to separate invention from innovation in this
way, and ask what libraries do in innovation, as opposed to
invention?  (Rather than "as opposed to doing the old thing".)
Perhaps libraries are spending too much effort trying to invent,
when instead they should be innovating?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)