[Web4lib] flickr

Erin Kinney EKINNE at state.wy.us
Fri Jun 1 11:01:20 EDT 2007

Ray,

I use Flickr for personal photos, but some personal photos of library events, too (I'm "WyoLibrarian" in Flickr).  I like the Flikr Uploadr to quickly load photos from my computer.  Flickr doesn't allow you to download whole sets of photos like Picasa Web Albums does (a Google product) which was helpful when I lost my hard drive.  I use Picasa at work and home to organize and search photos and web graphics on my computer and it allows you to upload with a Google account.  Flickr does Groups and Contacts better than Picasa Web Albums, and I use that to see what's going on in other libraries around the world.

My husband's library (Chadron Public Library) has a Flickr account and they use it to post photos of events (like summer reading kick off) and we uploaded photos of possible furniture for the new teen room so the teen advisory council could pick which they wanted.  We wandered around furniture stores in northern Colorado and took pictures with our cell phones and emailed them to Flickr (another option I like).

Erin

______________________________
Erin Kinney, Digital Initiatives Librarian
Wyoming State Library
516 S. Greeley Hwy.
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Email: ekinne at state.wy.us
Phone: (307) 777-6332
http://will.state.wy.us/
http://gowyld.net/
http://wyonewspapers.org/
http://wyominglibraries.org/
E-mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction of public business, is subject to the Wyoming Public Records Act and may be disclosed to third parties.

>>> "Raumin "Ray" Dehghan" <infoscience1 at gmail.com> 6/1/2007 8:40 AM >>>
Colleagues:

   I was inquiring as to any advantages and disadvantages in any library's
experiences with Flickr - it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Raumin "Ray" Dehghan
West Chicago Public Library
West Chicago, Illinois