[Web4lib] Headphone for Library Internet use.

Anderman, Lynea LAnderman at PIT.edu
Mon Jul 30 11:19:08 EDT 2007

Like Louise's library, we recently invested in these same headphones,
but we purchased enough to assign one set to every computer. We've also
marked them with a "metallic silver" sharpie. Since we've opted to keep
them at each computer, we've zip-tied them to other cables on the
computer - not perfect security but so far it does seem to discourage
theft.

We opted to place the headphones at every computer for several reasons:
1.      Although a good number of students brought their own earbuds or
headphones, we had a large number who asked to borrow a set.
2.      The ones we had were cheap and most of them didn't work any
more.
3.      Our IT office ordered computers with headphone jacks only in the
back, so students were constantly moving the CPUs to access the jack and
in the process, unplugging other cables. That meant we were regularly
hearing "this computer doesn't work."
4.      Compounding that problem, the students' own sets & the few we
still had available, had fairly short cords which also resulted in CPUs
pulled forward so the cords would reach.

The headphones we added have 9 ft. long cords so we haven't had any "CPU
creep" since they were installed. Summer term is a small test group, but
so far the students seem to be very happy with them. Several students
have stopped by to visit and use the library even though they're not
taking courses this summer and they made a point of speaking to me to
tell me how much they like the new headphones. Fall will be our big test
for how successful they will be.

Lynea Anderman

Lynea Anderman
Director of the Library

Pennsylvania Institute of Technology
800 Manchester Avenue
Media, PA 19063-4098

voice:  610-892-1524
FAX:   610-892-1523
email:  landerman at pit.edu <mailto:landerman at pit.edu>
Library catalog:  http://pitcat.pit.edu <http://pitcat.pit.edu/>
website:  www.pit.edu <http://www.pit.edu/>
"[I]t's not just the books under fire now that worry me.
Is is the books that will never be written.
The books that will never be read.
And all due to the fear of censorship.
As always, young readers will be the real losers."
-- Judy Blume