[Web4lib] Dewey incognito

Graczyk, William WGracz at milwaukee.gov
Mon Jul 16 14:31:55 EDT 2007

Jimm Wetherbee asked, "I wonder whether Dewey is still lurking
underneath this particular system to assist librarian in the inevitable
need to break out certain categories and remix others."
I think it is. If you search for the title "Photo by Brady" you get ten
locations, nine libraries and the Dewey number 973.7302 ARMSTRO and one
library, the Perry branch, with the call number JUV HISTORY US.
Obviously, the catalog links the BISAC designation to the Dewey number.
If you perform a reverse search on the Dewey number (and, believe me,
they have that option well hidden), you get the same nine copies with
973.7302 ARMSTRO and the same single copy at Perry with the call number
JUV HISTORY US. Maricopa is apparently still classifying everything with
Dewey numbers and then using the BISAC designations as call numbers for
shelving purposes at the Perry Branch. Not exactly a Deweyless library,
perhaps just Dewey incognito.

Bill Graczyk
Wisconsin Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped