[Web4lib] the journal "presence" in online databases

Turner,Kathleen kt32 at drexel.edu
Mon Jul 16 15:29:27 EDT 2007

Karen,

I suspect one could find a parallel for the loss of the "wholeness" of a
journal issue" in the world of popular music.  Does the "album" as those
of us of a certain age knew it still exist when most music is acquired
(I'd like to say purchased, but spend too much time around college-aged
people to use such a ridiculous word)as single tracks rather than as
part of a larger whole?

Okay, for most popular music albums (and one could probably say, for
most journals) the order of the songs, and their relationship to each
other was pretty arbitrary -- whatever would fill up that remaining 3
minutes -- but there were concept albums in which the tracks, and the
order of the tracks made up a cohesive whole (well, cohesive might be a
relative term when we're talking about some of the great concept albums
. . .).

It seems that the confounding problem here is that access to these small
press journals is more likely to be through databases that recognize
each article as a unit in itself, but not as they relate to each other
-- comparing, for instance, a Proquest database in which I can search
for and browse a specific journal title and even specific issue, but
only as a list of articles, with ScienceDirect, for example, in which I
can view what is essentially a reproduction of the table of contents of
a journal issue.

Kathleen

Kathleen H. Turner
Web/Education Librarian