[Web4lib] RE: [Dewey-lessArizonapubliclibrary

Hester, Mary HesterM at bartonccc.edu
Mon Jul 16 13:06:06 EDT 2007

Several thoughts that I have had since info about this started
circulating in blogs and list serves.

1. It would be interesting to have a professional tell us about what is
going on as opposed to a newspaper article. Wonder how much of what we
are all reacting to is the reporter's non-librarian interpretation of
what the staff said and has done?
2. Customer-centered service is about meeting our customers where they
are. If they have found a system that meets the needs of their patrons,
good for them.
3. Wonder why this has been such a hot-topic for librarian discussion
groups?

Mary L. Hester, Director of Learning Resources
Barton County Community College
245 NE 30th Road; Great Bend, KS 67530
hesterm at bartonccc.edu http://www.bartonccc.edu/library
620-792-9364; fax 620-792-3238

"My guess is about 300 years until computers are as good as, say, your
local reference library in doing search," says Craig Silverstein. "But
we can make slow and steady progress, and maybe one day we'll get
there."
Craig Silverstein is Google's director of technology
Quote is from article "Inside The Wide World Of Google" CBS News March
28, 2004
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/25/sunday/main608672.shtm