[Web4lib] Innovation: NYT article on Dewey-less Arizona public library

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 16 12:47:14 EDT 2007

What's killing me about the library world's reaction to both this and
the earlier 'hipster' article is the shock and outrage that anyone
could still have such an antiquated view of libraries.

Rather than analyze /why/ such a mindset exists, the dialog has
centered around pointing out how ignorant these authors must be and
how long it must have been since they've darkened the doorway of their
local public library.  Maybe it's just a reflection on the quality of
the New York metro area's libraries, but maybe a lot of what appears
in these articles could come as a news to a large portion of its
readers (assuming the majority of those that have read these articles
are outside of the subscriptions of library-focused mailing lists).

I feel like there's a strong tone of arrogance and self-righteousness
from the library community that is unwarranted in the face of a public
that seems to be barely paying attention.

-Ross.