[Web4lib] RE: [lita-l] Innovation: NYT article on Dewey-lessArizona public library

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Mon Jul 16 08:06:51 EDT 2007

I thought it was an intellectual system. I do not believe
that cataloging is merely about the end product, the path
and method of classification also have intrinsic benefits.

When I cataloged, the process of organization allowed me
to better understand the collections and to judge what
would compliment the body of knowledge.  I think that you
can use computerized interfaces to help enable the public
to find material faster, but at the same time I think that
you can also end up making the librarians less effective
when they are distanced from the problem solving process.

Nothing in the description of services in the article was
innovative. It certainly may work to reach whatever goals
that organization has, but it does not represent anything
we are not already doing.   In the PLs a large part of the
collections - fiction and biography are already organized
by genre and author/title.

Robert L. Balliot
1-401-421-5763
Skype: RBalliot