[Web4lib] Successful book discussion blogs, anyone?

Michele Hampshire mhampshire at cityofmillvalley.org
Fri Jul 13 14:35:27 EDT 2007

Hi Alicia, when the MARINet consortium launched One Book One Marin in
January, MVPL used a blog <http://millvalleylibrary.org/onebook/> to
stimulate discussion.  We considered it a successful project, but not
because of comments left on the blog (none, or maybe one!!!). Based on
the site statistics, we know that a number of people visited the blog.
Although it wasn't exactly what we hoped for, adding the blog component
to the community read project year after year could eventually yield
online discussion rather than just lurkers (one form of participation,
after all).

Some of the choices we made that I deemed important to the success of
the experiment included the decision to implement a group blog.  Authors
included me, a part-time Librarian (library student), a Library
Assistant, and a member of the Library Board of Trustees.  Perhaps the
various viewpoints worked to draw readers.  Also, authors were asked to
keep their posts short and light, and were asked to post once per week
ensuring that the blog had fresh content on a regular basis.

We thought it might be a good idea to ask staff members to make comments
on the blog posts as a way to stimulate discussion among the public, but
for no particular reason we did not follow through with those plans.

Incidentally, I led the in-person book discussion group at the El
Cerrito library for more than three years; it was often a challenge to
engage participants there too.

Best, Michele

Michele Hampshire
Web Librarian