[Web4lib] Innovative proxy (WAM) and Naxos

Bob Duncan duncanr at lafayette.edu
Wed Jul 11 15:07:17 EDT 2007

At 01:14 PM 07/10/2007, Brian Kennison wrote:
>. . .
>So if Naxos is streaming on port 80 why wasn't my proxy working?
>. . .
>If I entered the ip address of this machine in my proxy table it works.
>
>I'm guessing that the machine did not resolve to be coming from *.naxos.com so
>the proxy did not connect. I'm not sure about this though. I've ask the folks
>and Naxos if this makes sense but it's 1 in the morning Hong Kong so I expect
>I'll have to wait for an answer.

AFAIK, the WAM proxy doesn't do any name resolution;  it looks at
your forward table and it rewrites URLs for any hostnames or IP
addresses it finds there when it encounters them.  If a hostname or
IP address is not accounted for in your forward table (either singly
or via a wildcard entry) then it doesn't get rewritten and the user
falls out of the proxy for whatever service is using the host machine
that's not accounted for.  (As evidenced by the proxy working when
you include the IP address of the streaming machine in your forward table.)

Bob Duncan

Robert E. Duncan
Systems Librarian
Editor of IT Communications