[Web4lib] Locking Down Proxy Settings in XP Home

Sarah Washburn swashburn at techsoup.org
Wed Jul 11 14:53:28 EDT 2007

Hi Kevin,

One of my co-workers wasn't able to test this (we don't have XP Home
installed here), but this is what he found. He works with these types of
issues all the time, so let me know if you'd like more info. The
following is what he suggested:

"he could check to see if he can edit the Registry directly if the user
profile allows it. Be aware that familiarity with the registry editor
(the regedit.exe utility) is recommended before attempting this."

- Go to Start > Run
- Type regedit.exe
- Hit ENTER
Drill down to the key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control
Panel Change the DWORD to Proxy = 1

Hope this helps!
-sarah

The MaintainIT Project at TechSoup