[Web4lib] mediawiki and excessive CPU usage

Ken Irwin kirwin at wittenberg.edu
Tue Jul 10 13:52:24 EDT 2007

Hi folks,

We've got a wiki running on our library website (using MediaWiki 1.6.8)
and have noticed that since installing it our CPU usage is almost always
right up at 99% of capacity. About 100 distinct processes related to the
wiki run about 2000 times every minute. It may be that a high-traffic
wiki needs all this legwork to keep itself up-to-date and functioning
well, but this is a super low-traffic wiki. Does anyone know if it's
possible to get wiki to chill out a bit? ($cpuQualudes = "yes";)

We're thinking of installing additional wikis on the same machine for
different purposes, and we'd like to not fry its little brain. Any advice?

Thanks
Ken

--
Ken Irwin