[Web4lib] Science Direct via Google

Ross Singer ross.singer at library.gatech.edu
Mon Jul 9 10:50:31 EDT 2007

On 7/8/07, Bob Duncan <duncanr at lafayette.edu> wrote:

> And I hope that someday Google Scholar will abandon its idiotic (IMO) practice
> of generating OpenURL links based on a library's holdings.

I think this statement is untrue.  Google Scholar gives me many
OpenURL links for items that Georgia Tech doesn't hold.  Where did you
get this assumption?

There are a lot of citations that Google Scholar doesn't provide
OpenURLs for, but I think that's because Google is unable to parse
them accurately, not because my institution doesn't own them.

If you're referring to the fact that you can't get the links unless
you allow Google to crawl your holdings, then your statement is merely
misleading.

-Ross.