[Web4lib] Web Search Engine Quality

Weidner, Amy aweidner at ben.edu
Sun Jul 8 10:27:43 EDT 2007

Some basic info is available at http://searchenginewatch.com/showPage.html?page=reports

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org on behalf of Patricia F Anderson
Sent: Fri 7/6/2007 9:43 PM
To: huiykim at ucla.edu
Cc: web4lib at webjunction.org
Subject: Re: [Web4lib] Web Search Engine Quality

Hi, Huiykim,

Nancy Allee and I did something vaguely along these lines some years ago.

Anderson PF, Allee, Nancy. 2000. The Quality Connection: Health
Information Megasites and Search Engines. In: Guide to Health Care on the
Internet, Chapter 12: Ensuring the Quality of Health Care Information on
the Net. Faulkner & Gray, 2000, 159-188.

Basically, for our methodology, we selected four questions -- a simple and
a complex question at both general public and professional levels. We
focused on e-health. We then scored the first ten results on the following
criteria:

  Relevancy Rankings:
1 = relevant results, most relevant listed first
2 = some relevant results, some not, ranked
3 = some relevant results, some not, no ranking
4 = possibly relevant results, must dig to find
5 = mostly irrelevant results, top ranked results not relevant
6 = no hits or no relevant topics on first page
<http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfa/megasite/>
<http://www-personal.umich.edu/~pfa/megasite/srchcomp.html>

We clicked through to the web site for each link, checked the content on
that page. What we didn't score was whether or not the links actually
answered the question asked, since in '99 when we did this, almost none of
the sites retrieved actually answered the questions. Naturally, things are
different now.

  -- Patricia Anderson, pfa at umich.edu