[Web4lib] Google Books a tease, not a useful tool, for serious research

Pons, Lisa (ponslm) PONSLM at UCMAIL.UC.EDU
Fri Jul 6 10:15:39 EDT 2007

I agree with Mr Coleman below...

I have written a book for Arcadia regarding the history of our county. I
found many books that had relevant references in it using Google Book
Search. I couldn't always see the entire reference, but I was able to
make note of the item. Then, using the "Find in a Library" I was able to
connect right to Worldcat and search for the item in my local libraries.

Of course, I could do none of this at my own library- I did use a
subject search on our catalog, but that brought up very little. In fact,
I found more in my own library using Google then I did using our own
catalog.

We recently signed up for Serials Solutions 360 search. I have been
using that as well, as it now searches not only our catalog, but
databases as well.

So, if one takes all these tools together, I have an amazing amount of
research I can do right from my easy chair. If I have to acquire the
book from the library- no problem, at least I know what to get!

Lisa