[Web4lib] Language Translation on website

Mike Taylor mike at indexdata.com
Wed Jul 4 07:24:29 EDT 2007

Sharon Logan writes:
 > We are interested in providing translated pages on our website.  We
 > would like to use several languages.  Those I have talked with have
 > used actual staff to translate their pages for them.  I am
 > wondering if there is reliable translation software out there for
 > accomplishing this task.

Sorry, no.  Translation is an incredibly complex and difficult task,
pretty much a canonical example of the kind of thing that computers
can't do well because they lack the cultural context necessary to
understand what's being said.  There is no currently substitute for a
human translator (and I'd be prepared to bet that there won't be for
several decades yet, it ever.)

/o ) \/  Mike Taylor    <mike at indexdata.com>    http://www.miketaylor.org.uk
)_v__/\  "We are stardust - Million year old carbon / We are golden -
	 Caught in the devil's bargain" -- Joni Mitchell, _Woodstock_