[Web4lib] web page layout in different monitors and browsers

Jonathan Bloy JBloy at edgewood.edu
Tue Jul 3 16:54:17 EDT 2007

Marc Bertone wrote:
> My personal approach now is to code for people using browsers
> set at 1024 pixels wide.  1024px is right in the middle of what
> people are using (800px low end, 1280/1600 high end) so I
> think it's a pretty safe bet.

But keep in mind with this approach, visitors with screen resolutions
narrower than 1024px will have to scroll horizontally to see all of your
content.

In my opinion, you should really make your decision based on the
visitors to your site.  Look at the stats, and see what resolutions they
are using.  Another thing to keep in mind, screen resolution does not
equal browser window size.  Many people (especially those with large
monitors) do not have their browser maximized.

As an aside, in the web design community the fixed versus fluid width
debate is an old one.
http://www.molly.com/2005/04/16/fixed-versus-liquid-the-beating-goes-on/

Currently, my library's site is fixed width, but I'm leaning toward
thinking a fluid width (with proper min-width and max-width CSS
declarations) might be the way to go.

--
Jonathan Bloy
Web Services Librarian