[Web4lib] staff web contributers-training

SUSAN HANSEN SUSAN at rochester.lib.mn.us
Wed Jan 31 09:10:11 EST 2007

I use contribute with public library staff, a private school staff and a camp staff. I've found anyone who uses Word easily picks up on contribute. I sit down with each user for 1 hour and we go through how they edit a page -Sometimes the templates present a bit of a challenge but once we work out the bugs.  For the beginnings of new websites I have them send pages to me for review. Once we're comfortable they know what they are doing, they can publish directly themselves.

We don't give students access to pages at this time.

Susan Hansen, MA, CIRS,
Librarian
Rochester Public Library
101 2nd Street SE
Rochester MN  55904-3776

susan at rochester.lib.mn.us
www.rochesterpubliclibrary.org
Aim & Yahoo screenname: RPLmnInfo
MSN: reference at rochester.lib.mn.us

blog:ripplesbog.blogspot.com

office phone: 507.285.8002
fax: 507.287.1910

>>> "Pons, Lisa (ponslm)" <PONSLM at UCMAIL.UC.EDU> 1/31/2007 7:54 AM >>>
At our library, we have several staff members that use Contribute to edit their portions of the web site. Training them can be challenging... so I am wondering... what does everyone else do?

Whether you use a CMS or other method- when a staff person wants to contribute content to the web page- is there training they must go through? Does someone look over there work? Is training given by a central group, or is the department responsible?

Also, do you have any limit to how many people may edit on your web site?

Are students allowed under proper supervision access ?

Anything in regards to this is appreciated.

Thanks!

Lisa Pons-Haitz
University of Cincinnati
University Libraries